Thursday, October 4, 2007

The meaning of Team BRAZO…

Ok, ok, ok enough already – I think I have answered well over a thousand e-mails asking – what is the meaning behind your blog name Team BRAZO. So, I have two choices -- I can continue to over load my inbox with your emails or I can do a blog entry to explain. Guess what, I decided to do the blog entry.

So, a number of years ago (14 ½ to be exact) my wife and myself had a baby boy and we named him Alex Robert Meyer. Then about 9 ½ years ago my wife and myself had another baby boy and we named him Aaron Robert Meyer. So now do you get the meaning of Team BRAZO? Pretty clear to me at this point – you get it now? Do I need to go any further with my explanation? I think not.

But, for you that might be a bit slow today with your processing – maybe a bit too much IronMan training lately? I’ll continue, in 2003 we purchased a Trawler (boat) that we would keep in Sturgeon Bay, WI and we would use to cruise the Great Lakes. The Trawler was purchased from a gentleman in Orange Beach, AL and he had named the Trawler "Patricia" after his wife’s name.

Do I need to continue, now? Did you final figure it out? Pretty easy with all that data – just think hard and you’ll get it. Come on, I don’t want to sit here all day explaining this to you – I have IronMan workouts to do – well maybe not yet, but soon.

Ok, well we didn’t know any Patricia’s and even though his wife was a very nice lady – we needed a new name for the Trawler. Well, this is where the story ends (thank goodness, ha?).

See our most prized possessions are our two boys – both of their names form the initials – ARM. So you got it now? Right in front of you – just dig a bit deeper.

We figured it might be a bit strange to name our Trawler ARM when we contact the marinas for a slip “Sister Bay Marina, Sister Bay Marina this is ARM on channel 16, over” – just didn’t sound right.

So, we decided to use the Spanish word for ARM and that happens to be BRAZO (btw: the only Spanish word that I know – besides tres). Now our Trawler is named BRAZO.

So now when we compete in any road race, triathlon, bike race, etc – we have our 9 ½ year old (he likes that ½ -- makes him feel older) draw tattoos on our bodies that say TEAM BRAZO.

During IronMan Wisconsin, my family had signs for me reading “Way to Go TEAM BRAZO” – I wonder if this seemed a bit strange to Team Mexico (Team Mexico had 350 participates in IronMan Wisconsin 2007) – what the heck is TEAM ARM…