Friday, September 28, 2007

IronMan Wisconsin Finish

Today I was reading IronWil’s blog and she had a link to her IronMan Finish this year at IronMan Wisconsin. IronWil stated “This was one of the best feelings ever. Ever. Ever.” - referring to hearing Mike Riley say her name at the finish line. This made me think back to my IronMan finish to see if I had the same feeling.

Before the IronMan and through all the training – oh ya, that was the part that I was dreaming about as I completed my 8 hour training bike rides, 2 hour training swims, and 3 hour training runs. Hearing Mike Riley announce that you are an IronMan after a very long and tough day was certainly my dream and goal.

But, I can honestly say that the moment that I heard Mike Riley say “Robert Meyer from Madison Wisconsin, you are an IronMan” was not a highlight of my day. In fact, it was a very small part of the whole experience.

To me the “best feeling ever. Ever. Ever.” was running up State Street on the 2nd loop knowing that my family was going to be waiting for me a little bit before the finish line so that I could high-five my sister and sister-in-law – who both spent their entire day flying from spot to spot with their awesome signs to cheer me on, so that I could see my parents which have always supported me in anything that I have done and had also been at many spots along the way, to high-five my two awesome boys that gave me some of the inspiration with the idea of showing them “You Can Do Anything – Freaking Anything!!”, and to give my incredible wife a kiss for all the support for this IronMan and all other adventures that we have done together as a team over the last 20 years.

The finish wasn’t really a big deal – I probably could have just kept running straight on the Capital Square and not even turned down Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and been just as happy. The strange part of the IronMan is that it is NOT an individual sport – it is a team sport. You really need the support of your friends and family to get it done. If you look at the number of people that signed up for the IronMan and did not show up the day of the event, this will give you a small indicator of the support needed. Many people signup hoping that they receive that support, only to find out that they do not get the support needed and in turn are not able to toe that starting line.

So, even though I like Mike Riley’s voice – not even close to as much as I love the support of my Family!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Great post :) But just to clear up any confusion, it wasn't hearing Mike Riley call me an Ironman that was one of the best feelings ever. Ever. Ever. It was the fact that a very long personal war was finally over - finishing that race just meant simply it was the end of it for me, but more importantly, the beginning of so much more.

joseph001 said...

Ever. Ever. It was the fact that a very long personal war was finally over - finishing that race just meant simply it was the end of it for me, but more importantly,
Lisa11
wisconsin drug rehab