Friday, August 1, 2008

Bike ride did not go well...

Today I made my way over to Verona to do two (2) loops on the IMWI bike course. I started out around 8AM with the temps being in the high 70's. I have been having problems with my stomach over the last 4-5 endurance type of runs/events and today was no different. In fact it was much worse.

About 30 minutes into the 5 1/2 hour ride, my stomach started to give me problems. I had planned on drinking 4 bottles of Perpetuem for my nutrition but after 1 bottle, my stomach could no longer drink it. I forced myself to drink as much water as possible, but even this did not go over well.

Of course with little nutrition and close to 90's temps, the ride became harder and harder as I went along. The three (3) major hills (or some people call the three (3) bitches) on the IMWI course became very hard. I spent most of my time on the 2nd loop wondering how I'm going to fix this stomach issue or I'm not doing IMKY. I just cannot feel like I have the flu and complete an IM -- just doesn't work.

So, now I need to do some research and figure out a solution. I know from experience that you have good training days and not so good training days -- and this one happened to be a terrible training day.

3 comments:

Bob said...

Almost everyone I know in Door County has flu-like symptoms...especially my father-in-law who never gets sick. Maybe you DO have a touch of something that is causing the unsettled-ness. Also, remember the average body can only absorb 1 g. of carbs per minute, no matter how it is consumed...don't take in too much, too soon (doesn't sound like you are). I'm pulling for you and will monitor your progress...

TRIBob

Michelle said...

Holy cats, does that look like the most fun! So glad you had a great time with your family. Boy, it must feel good to just get dirty!

IronMin said...

I was out there Friday too with the same result - that heat was much worse than expected! I wonder if we saw each other on the course...I did 2 loops too and was out there from 9-3.
Hang in there with the stomach, I'm sure it will be ok. Maybe it's just be a combination of training & heat.