Saturday, November 15, 2008

Age -- just doesn't get easier

Ok, I was checking out the IMWI 2009 participation list the other day and I noticed that they had me in the 45 to 49 age group. I'll only be 44 at race time, but I assume that they use the age that you'll be as of December 31, 2009.

So, you would think that this was great news -- right?? Maybe I'd be one step closer (I'm about 8,000 steps away now) from KONA. Getting grouped with the old guys would make things easier -- well maybe not.

I checked my results from IMKY 2008 and found that I was 239 out of 282 in my age group -- that means that 85% of the participants in my age group beat me. So, how about if I was in the 45 to 49 age group for IMKY 2008 -- well the good news is that I would have been 176 out of 204 participants, but 86% would have beat me from that age group.

I have a feeling things are just going to get worse and not better as I age. I'm guessing that the older the participant, the more serious they are.

So, I guess it is back to the KONA lottery for my chance...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You'll get to Kona. I know you will. :-)
I googled the Muddy Buddy today to try and get some info and your blog entry was the third entry down. What were the six obstacles? How in shape do you need to be and how long can you take to finish it. It sounds like just the adventure my girlfriend and I need. I was also wondering what kind of bike you need? Do you need a mountain bike? Let me know. you can email me at mommymeepa@aol.com. I was going to email but couldn't find it on here anywhere.

Triteacher said...

Sigh -- those Kona dreams... :-)