Thursday, November 6, 2008

A bit faster...

Today I had 45 minutes on the treadmill. During my off-season I was running about 5.5 mph -- slow easy just to keep the legs moving. Earlier this week I moved that speed to 6.5 mph and today I flipped it up to 7.0 mph.

Not lighting fast, but certainly adds a bit to the workout. My heart rate stayed around the 145 - 150 range. Now that I'm almost 44 years old, I lost another beat to my maximum heart rate -- my maximum now is 176 (220 minus your age).

I'll keep this pace for a while.

2 comments:

Formulaic said...

Keeping up the speed!

be careful not to injure yourself (of course, I know that you've done this enough that you know what you're doing and he warning signs, but still..)

I wouldn't rely on that old adage of 22 -age. It may not apply to you. Have you tried running a test on yourself?

Either the professional testing or the informal ones? Jack Daniels 'Running Formulas' has a good methodology.

Unknown said...

I have also heard that 220 - age is not the best way to determine maximum heart rate. Oddly enough, I have heard that it works fine for women, but for some reason is inaccurate for men??????